After much talk about his personal life lately, Pedro Martinez appears ready to get back to business.
The rehabbing New York Mets pitcher is scheduled to make just his second start of the season June 3 against the San Francisco Giants, according to MLB.com. Martinez, who has been sidelined since straining his left hamstring on April 1, is slated to pitch in a Class A game in Port St. Lucie, Fla., on Wednesday.
Early last week, Martinez told the New York Daily News that he was considering retiring after the 2008 season so he could be with his ailing father, Pablo, who is battling a form of brain cancer.
But Martinez, who returned to the Dominican Republic last Wednesday after his father suffered a medical setback, told ESPNdeportes.com that he would like to pitch at least two more years.
"I feel great physically and for the record I haven't considered retirement. Retirement would only take place if my arm is badly hurt and if I have to face surgery or something near that nature," Martinez told the Web site from the Dominican Republic.
The three-time Cy Young winner has been out since suffering the injury in his first start of the season. He threw just 77 pitches.
Martinez was 3-1 with a 2.56 ERA in just five starts last season, after returning in September from rotator cuff surgery on Oct. 5, 2006.