Wigginton to serve 2 games for blowup

NEW YORK -- Baltimore Orioles infielder Ty Wigginton has had his suspension cut to two games after a successful appeal.

Wigginton was originally suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount after his tirade following a call at first base against Minnesota. He will miss Monday night's game at Toronto.

Wigginton's suspension was reduced from three games after he agreed to drop his appeal.

"I got a phone call saying it could be reduced to two games and would I be willing to do that," Wigginton said. "I said, 'Yeah.' I'm just glad to put the whole thing behind me. The sooner I could get back on the field, the better."

The punishment stems from a confrontation between Wigginton and umpire Gary Darling following a call at first base.

Darling ruled that J.J. Hardy got back to the bag on an aborted attempt to steal second. Wigginton threw off his cap and yelled until he became red in the face, stopping only after interim manager Juan Samuel forcefully pulled him away.

As he walked off the field after being ejected, Wigginton tossed the ball into the stands.

Replays showed Darling missed the call, and the umpire confirmed that after the game, saying, "He missed him the first time and on a close play, he got him the second time, it looked like."

Wigginton's punishment, according to a release issued Friday by Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations for Major League Baseball, was "for his inappropriate actions, which included making contact with umpire Gary Darling."

Wigginton said, "It wasn't like a definite bump. I feel like if I bump someone, they're going to move back. ... If I did and didn't realize it, my bad. But I think it was more of a brush if anything."

The fine, Wigginton said, was "more than I was expecting."

Wigginton, who leads the Orioles in RBIs and home runs, said he could recall being ejected from a game only once and said last week he had never been suspended before.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.