Nick Diaz comes out of retirement

Nick Diaz has agreed to a three-fight contract extension with the UFC and intends to return to the Octagon in 2015, according to promotion officials.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the news via Twitter on Thursday, along with a photograph of Diaz in the UFC headquarters in Las Vegas:

Diaz (26-9) effectively announced his retirement after coming up short in a UFC title bid against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158 in March 2013. The Stockton, California, native has hinted numerous times of wanting to fight again since, but nothing materialized.

According to White, Diaz was offered a fight against Carlos Condit at UFC 171 in March, which he declined. Diaz, 30, still attended the event and was heard heckling newly crowned champion Johny Hendricks.

Diaz told UFC.com he's ready to fight "tonight," but it's possible he won't appear until 2015.

"Next year I guess," Diaz stated. "I can fight tomorrow; tonight.

"You have to do what you have to do. It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I've been doing nothing. I've been getting things done. Just because I'm not getting punched around every day doesn't mean I'm not focused on what I'm doing."

Throughout this year, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's managers Ed Soares and Jorge Guimaraes have expressed interest in pairing Silva (33-6) with Diaz. Silva, 39, is still recovering from a broken leg he suffered in his last fight.

Diaz, a former Strikeforce welterweight champion, has expressed interest in fighting for the UFC title again but would also welcome a big-money bout against Silva.

"I'd be interested in fighting (Silva) and anything that's going to do well," Diaz said. "That would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style."

White has stated previously he wouldn't be opposed to booking the fight, but tweeted there is no update at this time:

Diaz vacated his Strikeforce title and re-signed with the UFC in 2011, after spending five years outside of the organization. He is 1-2 since then, with losses to Condit and St-Pierre. He defeated BJ Penn via unanimous decision in October 2011.