<
>

Chael Sonnen faces potential action

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission has informed retired mixed martial artist Chael Sonnen it will take administrative action against him if he elects to compete at a grappling competition this weekend in Los Angeles.

Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar confirmed to ESPN.com that Sonnen was informed of the pending legal action against him in writing last week. Sonnen is scheduled to headline a Metamoris 4 grappling event against Andre Galvao on Saturday.

According to the NSAC's letter, the commission would view Sonnen's participation at Metamoris 4 as a "breach of the commission's order and will subject [Sonnen] to further proceedings."

Last month, the NSAC suspended Sonnen for two years after two failed drug tests. During the disciplinary hearing, Sonnen agreed to not fight in any jurisdiction in that time. His scheduled appearance at Metamoris 4 was not discussed.

Las Vegas-based attorney Ross Goodman filed letters with the NSAC on Aug. 1 and Aug. 5, stating the two-year suspension should not apply to a grappling competition, as it does not fall under the jurisdiction of state athletic commissions.

On Wednesday, Aguilar said the NSAC would not alter its stance on the matter. He declined further comment, citing potential for future litigation.

"I believe our letter and order speaks for itself," Aguilar told ESPN.com. "I have no further comment at this time."

Immediately following Sonnen's July 23 suspension hearing, Aguilar said during an interview that the suspension enveloped "anything sanctioned under our rules as an unarmed combat."

Neither Goodman nor Metamoris officials were immediately available for comment.

Sonnen, 37, was scheduled to compete at UFC 175 on July 5 in Las Vegas. He tested positive for a total of five banned substances in separate failed drug tests in late May and early June, and was subsequently removed from the card.

A former three-time UFC title challenger, Sonnen announced his retirement from MMA shortly after news broke of the second failed test. He agreed to appear on the Metamoris 4 event later that month. Bleacher Report first reported news of the NSAC's potential action against Sonnen.