UFC welterweight Nick Diaz pleaded not guilty to two DUI charges in San Joaquin County Court in California on Thursday.
Diaz, 31, entered the pleas through his attorney, Mandeep Singh Sidhu, according to court spokesperson Stephanie Bohrer. His next court appearance has been scheduled for Nov. 6.
The Stockton, California-based fighter was arrested and charged with DUI on separate incidents on Nov. 28 and Sept. 6. Diaz faces eight total charges, including DUI, DUI with an alcohol or drug level above .08, unsafe speed for prevailing conditions, failure to appear after written promise, driving with a suspended license and resisting arrest.
Diaz (26-9) is scheduled to fight former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 183 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.
UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com earlier this week he did not believe the fight was in jeopardy.
"I don't necessarily think, and this is me personally, the charges would prevent the fight from happening," Fertitta said. "Look, clearly it's a potential violation of our code of conduct. It's something we have to sit down and take a look at, but I can't make any decisions or rush to judgment until this thing kind of plays out."
UFC president Dana White commented on the situation Thursday.
"He's a grown man," White said. "He's got to deal with his situation. The harder part for Nick Diaz is, is Nick Diaz going to show to his court appearances? You don't show up, then warrants come out for your arrest and you probably go to jail."