Finally, just 26 days before fight night, UFC 230 booked its main event. And it's a big one. As in, heavyweights fighting for the championship.
Daniel Cormier will defend his belt against Derrick Lewis at the Nov. 3 event at Madison Square Garden in New York. Lewis earned his shot with a last-ditch knockout of Alexander Volkov on Oct. 6.
The co-main pits former middleweight champion Chris Weidman against Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza ... but it took awhile for the UFC to arrive at that matchup. Weidman originally was scheduled for a rematch with Luke Rockhold, who took away his 185-pound belt back in 2015. But Rockhold pulled out on Oct. 19 because of multiple injuries, so the UFC replaced him with Souza, who had been scheduled to fight at this event against David Branch. The UFC brought in Jared Cannonier to fight Branch.
There has been much scrambling to make this card worthy of the world's most famous arena.
Weidman vs. Rockhold isn't the only big fight this event has lost. The original co-main event was to be a lightweight clash between Dustin Poirier and Nate Diaz, but Poirier pulled out because of injury. The UFC did not book Diaz against a new opponent.
The fight card also features an excellent middleweight fight between Derek Brunson and rising star Israel Adesanya.
Whose night will it be?
• UFC 230 Cheat Sheet: Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis
• Family keeping Derrick Lewis a free, focused and motivated fighter ahead of UFC 230
• Key stats that will define Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis
• What it means to fight at MSG
• How to bet UFC 230
• Video: White has high expectations for Cormier vs. Lewis
• How to bet UFC 230
• Video: Lewis not bothered he's being underestimated
• Daniel Cormier-Derrick Lewis official; Valentina Shevchenko moved back to UFC 231
• Video: Derrick Lewis' best one-liners
• Injured Luke Rockhold out of UFC 230; Chris Weidman to face Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza
• Sources: Dustin Poirier pulls out of UFC 230 bout with Nate Diaz
• Valentina Shevchenko-Sijara Eubanks to headline UFC 230
• Nate Diaz booked to face Dustin Poirier at UFC 230
• Luke Rockhold-Chris Weidman rematch on tap for Nov. 3 at MSG
• Derek Brunson calls UFC 230 fight with Israel Adesanya 'a step down'