'Big Foot' downs Browne in Round 1

Maybe the pressure wasn't as intense as Antonio Silva stated during the days heading into his heavyweight bout against Travis Browne, but that's what he was feeling Friday night at Target Center in Minneapolis.

"Bigfoot," who spoke of the need to erase the sting of losing his UFC debut to former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez in May and ending a two-fight skid, can feel at ease again after registering a first-round TKO of Browne.

That sense of urgency, however, would prove helpful to Silva. He caught Browne on the jaw with a solid overhand right.

The punch sent Browne to the canvas, where Silva jumped on him and landed several more strikes before referee Herb Dean waved the fight off. The bout officially ended at 3:27 of the first round.

"I trained two months for this fight," said Silva, who improves to 17-4. "I lost my first fight in the UFC."

While Silva walks away with an impressive victory, it must be noted that Browne appeared to have injured his left knee before tasting that overhand right.

Browne (13-1-1) began favoring the knee after missing with a right hand. He was less aggressive afterward and Silva took advantage.

Ellenberger evens score against Hieron

More than six years have passed since Jake Ellenberger felt the sting of losing a unanimous decision to Jay Hieron.

It was Ellenberger's first professional loss, and that fact was in his thoughts every day leading to their welterweight rematch.

As eager as Ellenberger was to exact revenge, he kept his emotions under control. Ellenberger, known as a fast starter, showed patience en route to unanimous decision.

All three judges scored the bout, 29-28. ESPN.com also scored the fight for Ellenberger, 29-28.

Ellenberger and Hieron were scheduled to meet Sept. 1 at UFC 151 before that entire card was cancelled.

With the victory, Ellenberger improves to 27-6. Hieron, who returned to UFC for the first time since October 2005, falls to 23-6.

Dodson stops Formiga to earn flyweight title shot

Jiu-jitsu was the lone aspect of Jussier Formiga's game that concerned John Dodson.

And in their flyweight-elimination bout, Dodson controlled the distance and stuffed all of Formiga's takedown attempts. But Dodson had more in mind than playing defense; he stung Formiga with hard left hands.

Dodson dropped Formiga twice in the second round with left hooks, the latter leading to a TKO victory. Dodson's finishing punch was set up with a left to the midsection.

A left hook to the chin quickly followed, and Formiga was hurt badly. Dodson landed several more left hands and the fight was stopped at the 4:35 mark.

Dodson will face flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.

"It's going to be the super-fastest fight you will ever see," Dodson said of his yet-to-be-scheduled title bout against Johnson.

Edwards submits Neer in 45 seconds

With only one win in his first three Octagon appearances, Justin Edwards was in need of a victory against welterweight veteran Josh Neer. And he wasted little time going on the attack in an effort to get that much-needed win.

Edwards caught Neer in a guillotine choke while on the feet, then took the hold to the ground. Neer would quickly lose consciousness, forcing Edwards to inform referee Nick Gamst.

The fight was stopped at the 45-second mark of Round 1.

Neer represents the highest profile opponent on Edwards' resume. He improves to 8-2.

"I knew it was going to be a very exciting fight and I was going to push the pace," Edwards said. "I didn't think it would be over so early, but I wanted the challenge of Josh Neer."

Neer drops his second consecutive fight and falls to 33-12-1.