Dwight Howard faces 2nd suspension

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard is poised to serve another one-game suspension after picking up his NBA-high 18th technical foul of the season during the second quarter of a 111-102 win Wednesday.

The reason was a rare 10-second violation on a free throw attempt.

The poor-shooting Howard has always been deliberate at the line, and referee Bennett Salvatore called a violation for taking too long to attempt his second shot late in the second quarter Wednesday at Charlotte.

As the crowd jeered, Howard tossed the ball away from any official. Salvatore immediately gave Howard a technical.

"I don't see a lot of people getting called for it," Howard said after the game. "I was really upset about it."

If the call is upheld by the league, Howard will sit out Sunday's nationally televised game against East-leading Chicago.

Howard served a one-game suspension on March 7 after picking up his 16th technical.

Magic forward Quentin Richardson was also ejected after hitting the Bobcats' Gerald Henderson in the face with both hands in a scuffle along the baseline.

Henderson was trying to dribble out of pressure early in the fourth quarter when Richardson was called for a foul. Apparently upset over an elbow from Henderson earlier in the play, Richardson confronted Henderson and appeared to poke him in his right eye.

Henderson shoved him to get away before Richardson put both open hands on Henderson's face and jerked his head backward.

"Henderson caught him a couple times in the mouth," Howard said of Richardson, who declined comment. "Q had a busted lip and I guess he just got tired of it."

Richardson was ejected and Henderson received a technical foul. Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu and Charlotte's Kwame Brown also got technicals in the ensuing scuffle.

"You saw what happened," countered Henderson. "He decided to put his finger in my face and pushed my face."

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.