X-rays negative on Stephen Curry

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Stephen Curry has injured his right ankle again.

The Golden State Warriors' point guard sat out Wednesday night against the Miami Heat after spraining his twice surgically repaired ankle during the team's morning practice. Warriors coach Mark Jackson said Curry, who already had been nursing a sprained right knee, injured his ankle going for a loose ball.

The team said X-rays on Curry's ankle were negative. Jackson said the injury doesn't appear serious and he doesn't expect Curry to be sidelined long. Jarrett Jack started in Curry's place.

"It was really a freak injury," Jackson said. "I'm not a doctor, but I can't imagine it turning into something more. I won't get into timetables and all of that, but we're not concerned."

Curry was not in the locker room before the game during the portion open to reporters. A team spokesman said Curry was receiving treatment.

Curry had started all 36 games this season to get Golden State (23-13) off to its best start since the 1991-92 season. He is averaging 20.5 points, 6.6 assists and 4.2 rebounds.

In April, the team said Curry had an operation on his ankle that "consisted of cleaning out loose debris and scar tissue." The former Davidson star also had surgery to repair a tendon in his ankle in the summer of 2011 and often had problems while playing that next season.

Curry sat out the final two exhibition game this season as a precaution because of ankle issues. The Warriors then signed him to a $44 million, four-year contract extension through the 2016-17 campaign hours before the season opener at Phoenix, and he had been making a strong case to be Golden State's first All-Star since Latrell Sprewell in 1997.

Also Wednesday, the Warriors said small forward Brandon Rush had surgery on his left knee. Rush was lost for the season when he tore two ligaments in his knee the second game of the season. He had been receiving treatment in preparation for surgery.

The team said it would have more details on Rush's operation Thursday after the team doctors had a chance to speak with the surgeon.