Dotson faces new arraignment, bail hearing

WACO, Texas -- Carlton Dotson's much-anticipated trip from
Maryland to Texas, where he is charged in the shooting death of a
former Baylor University basketball teammate, was uneventful,
authorities said.

Dotson, 21, napped or politely answered questions during the
flights on commercial airlines from Baltimore to Dallas and then on
to Austin, McLennan County Sheriff Larry Lynch said Tuesday.

"Everything we asked him to do, he did," Lynch said. "There
was very little conversation."

Dotson sat in the back seat of an unmarked police cruiser on the
last leg of the trip from Austin to Waco. Dressed in a white shirt
and blue pants, he looked toward the floor when reporters clustered
around the car as it arrived at the McLennan County jail.

Dotson was to be arraigned before a state district judge
Wednesday, said Billy Martin, a McLennan County justice of the

Dotson was indicted in August in the death of Patrick Dennehy,
21, who had been missing six weeks when his body was found July 25
in a field near a rock quarry south of Waco. The 6-foot-10 player,
who shared his apartment with Dotson since April, had been shot
twice in the head.

Dennehy played two seasons for the New Mexico Lobos before
transferring to Baylor in the spring of 2002.

Dotson had recently given up an extradition fight in his home
state. Lynch said he and two deputies picked up Dotson at 6 a.m.
Tuesday. He said Dotson was restrained but would not comment on
security measures or say how airplane passengers reacted.

After arriving in Waco, Dotson called his estranged wife to ask
her to visit him in jail, said Melissa Kethley, who left Dotson in
April after eight months of marriage. Kethley wasn't at her Sulphur
Springs home to take the call but said Dotson talked to her mother.

"I've been waiting for him to come back, but I'll probably wait
awhile before I go see him," said Kethley, who has talked to
Dotson several times on the phone since his arrest. "I'll probably
have to talk to him through glass, but I don't want to do that."

Dotson had returned to his hometown of Hurlock, Md., in June
after leaving Baylor.

He was arrested July 21 after calling police from a supermarket,
saying he was hearing voices and needed counseling. Officers took
him to a hospital, where he contacted the FBI. Later, he denied
that he confessed to killing Dennehy.

Dotson had appeared in court three times in the extradition
process. Last month, Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich signed a warrant
agreeing to turn Dotson over to prosecutors in Texas.

Dotson was served with the governor's warrant in court earlier
this month. His attorneys faced an Oct. 17 deadline to file their
next appeal but decided not to do so.

The case rocked the Baptist school and its basketball program.
Coach Dave Bliss and Baylor's athletic director resigned in August
amid revelations of NCAA violations. School investigators said two
players had received improper financial aid and employees did not
properly report some players' failed drug tests.