Sutton's status after car accident still undetermined

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma State basketball coach Eddie Sutton's status for the Cowboys' game Monday with Kansas is undetermined, according to an athletic department spokesman.

OSU spokesman Steve Buzzard said Sunday the 69-year-old Sutton -- who took the Arkansas basketball program to prominence in the 1970s -- was resting at home while recuperating from injuries the coach suffered during a Friday afternoon automobile accident.

Buzzard says Sutton probably will decide sometime Monday if he feels like coaching against Kansas. If Sutton doesn't coach, his son, head coach designate Sean Sutton, would guide the Cowboys. Sean Sutton filled in for his father Saturday in a 46-44 loss at Texas A&M.

It was the second time this season Sean Sutton has done that. He also did so during a Nov. 19 contest against Texas-Arlington, which Eddie Sutton sat out with chronic back pain.

"Nobody is pressing him for an answer to that question" about coaching against the Jayhawks, Buzzard said. "He just needs to rest at home."

Sutton said in a statement released by the university Sunday afternoon that he planned to rejoin his team "as soon as his health will allow." After the game against Kansas, Oklahoma State won't play again until Feb. 19, when the Cowboys host No. 6 Texas.

Sutton also addressed his players and coaches by phone Sunday, telling them he was proud of their intensity on defense in Saturday's loss to the Aggies, the statement said.

"He encouraged them to keep working hard on their studies and on their basketball," the statement said. "He told them he missed them and loved them, and to beat the Jayhawks."

After Saturday's loss, Oklahoma State is 13-11 overall and 3-7 in the Big 12 Conference. Sutton is six wins away from reaching the 800-win career mark.

Kansas is 17-6 overall and 8-2 in conference play, one game behind league-leading Texas.

Sutton was traveling to the Stillwater airport to fly with his team to College Station, Texas, when the accident occurred. Police said Sutton sustained a head injury in the accident, while the occupant of the other sport utility vehicle sustained minor injuries and was released at the scene.

Sutton was taken to Stillwater Medical Center and held overnight, but he returned home Saturday afternoon.