UNLV nets 10 points in final 22 seconds, forcing OT

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- UNLV was just as shocked with its comeback as
San Diego State was with its collapse.

Odartey Blankson scored 23 points and Michael Umeh had 22 for
the Runnin' Rebels, who won 93-91 in overtime Saturday after making
up a 10-point deficit with less than 30 seconds left in regulation.

UNLV's Ricky Morgan scored the last three points of the game,
making a layup with 50.9 seconds left and one free throw with 28.2
seconds left.

"That was as great of an effort as I've ever seen," Umeh said.
"We just tried to stay positive the whole time. I just couldn't
believe it. We just wanted to keep scrapping and see what happened.
It's hard to believe."

The Aztecs, who led by 18 with 12:28 left in regulation, also
couldn't believe it.

"You have to make a play and we didn't do that," coach Steve
Fisher said. "Here we are with our heads between our tails,
feeling sorry for ourselves."

San Diego State's Chris Walton, who's had a rough senior season
due to injuries and the flu, had a chance to tie the game with 1.4
seconds left. But he missed two free throws, including an airball
on the first attempt. Walton also had a turnover on an inbounds
pass with 41 seconds left.

The Runnin' Rebels (11-11, 3-6 Mountain West Conference) won
their second straight game and prevented a season sweep by the
Aztecs (10-12, 4-5).

"Our guys went out there and made a lot of tough shots," UNLV
coach Lon Kruger said. "This was a big win for us. I couldn't ever
dream of it. You just kind of hope to get to that point where there
is an opportunity to win. It usually doesn't happen."

UNLV's Curtis Terry forced overtime with an off-balance
3-pointer as the buzzer sounded to tie the game at 82.

The Runnin' Rebels trailed 81-71 with 28.5 seconds left after
SDSU's Matt Thomas made two free throws. Blankson scored off a
rebound with 17.8 seconds left, then was fouled taking a 3-point
shot and made all three free throws with 13.6 seconds left to pull
the Runnin' Rebels to 81-76.

SDSU's Trimaine Davis missed two free throws, then Jerel
Blassingame made a 3-pointer with 7.6 seconds left to make it
81-79. Davis made the second of two free throws with 5.6 seconds
left, giving the Runnin' Rebels just enough time to get the ball
down the floor for Terry's 3-pointer.

UNLV had five 3-pointers in the last minute of regulation, three
by Terry, and seven in the final 12:28.

San Diego State's Brandon Heath scored 29 points, going 17-of-17
from the free throw line. Marcus Slaughter added 25 points and 10

"This was the most disappointing loss that I have ever played
in," Slaughter said. "A 10-point lead with 28, 29 seconds left. I
never thought in my life I would see this."

San Diego State led 55-37 with 12:28 to go after Slaughter
scored off a rebound. The Aztecs made just two more field goals the
rest of regulation, while going 23-of-26 from the line.