How good is Showdown Saturday? Well, it features six conference games involving Top 25 teams, including one matchup of top 5 teams and one matchup of top 10 teams.
Take a look at what's in store for the 19 ranked teams playing this weekend, including detailed breakdowns of each matchup from Scouts, Inc.
Saturday, Oct. 9
Pete Carroll's Trojans have had an extra week to prepare for Jeff Tedford's Bears. Think USC remembers last year's loss in Berkeley?
• Insider breakdown: Trojans defense will have final say • Gilmore: Showcase for Pac-10's best teams and best QBs • Feldman: Leinart 'miles ahead' of last year
• Cal is eager to prove itself ... again
No. 2 OKLAHOMA SOONERS vs.
No. 5 TEXAS LONGHORNS
Noon ET - ABC
Is this the year that Cedric Benson and Mack Brown break through against OU? Or will Jason White and Bob Stoops continue to dominate the Horns?
• Insider breakdown: Will Peterson rise to the challenge? • Maisel: Peterson living up to the hype
• Bayless: Mack Brown is OU's favorite coach
• Cedric Benson shows no fear -- on or off the field
If the Vols' freshmen QBs struggled at home against Auburn, how will they fare between the hedges against David Pollack and the Dawgs' defense?
• Insider breakdown: Can Georgia expose Vols' inexperience? • Davis may be the best player on the SEC's best defense
LOUISIANA TECH BULLDOGS at
No. 6 AUBURN TIGERS
3:30 p.m. ET
RB Ryan Moats and La. Tech's win over Fresno State are two reasons the Tigers need to concentrate on the Bulldogs instead of last week's result.
• Insider breakdown: Can the Bulldogs contain the ground game?
With red-hot Virginia up next, this could be a trap game for the Seminoles and new QB Wyatt Sexton. However, this isn't the Orange of old.
• Insider breakdown: Can FSU's passing game produce big plays
Kyle Orton's crew is the nation's No. 2 scoring offense, averaging 47.2 points per game. The Nittany Lions are ranked 90th in scoring D. Uh oh.
• Insider breakdown: Can Penn State slow down Purdue's offense? • There's no slowing down Purdue's Stubblefield
The Gators handed LSU its only loss last season. If Chris Leak and Co. can do it again, the defending co-national champs would fall to 3-3.
• Insider breakdown: Gators will make most of advantage at QB
The Golden Gophers would like nothing more than to beat the Wolverines in the Big House -- especially after their 2003 collapse in the Metrodome.
• Insider breakdown: Michigan could turn it into a shootout
Can the Buckeyes bounce back against the nation's top-ranked scoring defense and an offense rejuvenated by the return of Anthony Davis?
• Insider breakdown: Can Badgers silence Buckeye Nation?
The key to this Big 12 matchup is simple: Can the Buffaloes slow down Vernand Morency and the Cowboys' No. 4-ranked rushing offense?
• Insider breakdown: The Buffaloes will look to control the clock
Will the return of RB P.J. Daniels help the Yellow Jackets end Maryland's 13-game winning streak at Byrd Stadium?
• Insider breakdown: Friedgen will have his Terrapins ready
While T.A. McLendon and the Wolfpack offense are on a roll, the Tar Heels are No. 103 in scoring defense, allowing 35.8 points a game.
• Insider breakdown: Can UNC make this game competitive?