Hicks due in court April 26; played 10 games in '04

WEST FORK, Ark. -- Arkansas Razorbacks tight end Jared Hicks and two
others were apparently going for a swim on the White River when
they were stopped by an officer and arrested on alcohol-related
misdemeanors, West Fork Police Chief Michael Nelson said Wednesday.

All three were scheduled for a court appearance April 26 in West
Fork District Court.

The police chief said the officer stopped their car in a local
park after observing it moving erratically; the driver, Steve
Sprick of West Fork, was issued a driving-while-intoxicated
citation; Hicks, 21, and the other passenger were cited on public
drunkenness charges. All three were taken to the Washington County
jail in Fayetteville, the chief said.

The arrest was made at 11:24 a.m. Monday. Hicks was released at
12:11 p.m., the same day.

Additional details will be available when the police report is
filed later this week, the chief said. He said the arresting
officer has been out since the incident.

Arkansas coach Houston Nutt wasn't available for comment. He was
with his ailing father, who was hospitalized in Little Rock.

Hicks, who is from Bartlesville, Okla., played 10 games last
season, despite dislocating his shoulder in the opener. He caught
eight passes for 98 yards and two touchdowns in 2004.

Hicks had offseason surgery for his shoulder injury, but was
hurt again during Arkansas' first scrimmage this spring. He was
held out of last Saturday's Red and White scrimmage. In his
three-year career, Hicks has made 13 catches for 154 yards and has
scored two touchdowns.

Hicks' arrest comes just more than a month after Arkansas senior
linebacker Clarke Moore was arrested and charged with driving under
the influence in Farmington on March 12.

It is the program's 15th alcohol-related arrest in coach Houston
Nutt's eight years with Arkansas. Hicks is the 30th player to have
a run-in with the law during Nutt's tenure.

Less than 24 hours after Hicks' arrest, former Arkansas
basketball player Michael Jones, 22, was arrested on a misdemeanor
charge for failure to appear in a Bentonville court two years ago
to settle a traffic violation.