FSU's Hayes, Surratt arrested, suspended after bar incident

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State suspended two football players Friday after they were arrested in a bar fight that resulted in felony charges against one of them.

Junior linebacker Geno Hayes and senior fullback Joe Surratt
were arrested early Friday at a bar near the Florida State campus,
police and school officials said. Police said Hayes had to be
subdued with a Taser and Surratt struck a police officer.

Surratt, 21, was charged with a felony count of battery on an
officer. Hayes, 20, faces three misdemeanor counts: assault on an officer, resisting arrest without violence and disorderly conduct, Tallahassee police spokesman David McCranie said.

Both players were released on bail Friday, officials said.

"The student-athletes have been suspended per our athletics
department student-athlete code of conduct policy, until all of the
facts of the incident are reviewed," Florida State Athletics
Director Dave Hart said in a statement.

Officers were on duty outside Potbelly's Bar looking for
underage drinkers when they noticed a man later identified as Hayes
screaming profanities and waving his arms, a police report said.
When officers tried to talk to him, Hayes became aggressive, police

Hayes was pulled away by his friends, but he resisted when
officers then tried to handcuff him, leading an officer to stun him
with his Taser, police said.

Police said Surratt was standing nearby and officers felt he was
interfering with the arrest. An officer pushed Surratt away, and he
responded by striking the officer, police said.

A spokesman for Florida State's athletics department said the
school didn't know if either player had a lawyer and the players
weren't made available for comment. The team wasn't practicing

Hayes is the team's second-leading tackler with 19, and Surratt
led Florida State with six rushing touchdowns last year but is
sidelined with a broken leg.

Florida State is off this weekend, and next plays Alabama in
Jacksonville on Sept. 29.