Trojans coach Pete Carroll told 710 ESPN Radio of his player's imminent release, which Johnson's mother, Kim Mallory, confirmed to ESPN's Shelley Smith.
Carroll said Johnson is on schedule to be taken home for further care and rehabilitation. Doctors have praised the senior's remarkable progress after the accident, which left his throat and larynx almost completely crushed by a weight bar.
Carroll says Johnson is feeling healthier, sleeping more soundly, and could start exercising soon as well.
Carroll also says there's a chance Johnson could qualify for a medical redshirt to earn a sixth year with the Trojans, though he also might be interested in heading to the NFL.
Johnson had seven hours of reconstructive surgery for crushing injuries to his neck as well as severe injuries to his larynx after the Sept. 28 accident. He was bench-pressing when the bar slipped from his right hand and fell onto his throat.
Johnson is not expected to play again for the Trojans, but doctors believe he will recover fully. Mallory texted Smith earlier this month to say her son's voice box "looks good and healing fine. And did some movement on the vocal chords [amen] not sure how much but God is good."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.