Ike Davis suffers left calf strain

DENVER -- New York Mets first baseman Ike Davis left Tuesday's game against the Colorado Rockies after the fourth inning with what the team labeled a left calf strain.

Davis collided with third baseman David Wright on Troy Tulowitzki's fourth-inning pop-up near the mound, completed the half-inning, then departed.

Manager Terry Collins described Davis as "hurting bad" after rolling the ankle in a collision, but the first baseman -- while wearing a protective boot after the game -- portrayed the injury as short-term.

Davis said he would take anti-inflammatory medication in the hopes of calming down the swelling, and would only seek an MRI on Wednesday if the issue did not subside. Davis even held out hope of playing in Wednesday's matinee series finale, although Collins indicated his starting lineup would have Daniel Murphy at first base, Justin Turner at third base and likely Willie Harris at second base over Chin-lung Hu.

Collins already planned to give Wright his first start off of the season, and intends to proceed with that regardless of Davis' status.

Davis and Wright said they both called for Tulowitzki's pop-up by the mound and did not hear each other.

"It was really high, right in the middle, and me and David both had a long way to run for it," Davis said. "We both were calling at the same time, so we didn't hear each other call it. We didn't really collide that hard. I just kind of rolled my ankle or something."

Davis said he initially was unsure what he had injured.

"I didn't know what it was, because at the time there was a lot of pain everywhere," Davis said. "But it's more like the back side of my lower leg. ... I actually don't think it's going to be that long. They're going to see how I feel in the morning. If it's really bothering me, maybe an MRI. But I think there's a small chance I play tomorrow."

Said Wright: "I didn't hear him. He didn't hear me. I guess we kind of called it at the same time."

Adam Rubin covers the Mets for ESPNNewYork.com.