Gerald Wallace leaves game

NEW YORK -- Brooklyn Nets small forward Gerald Wallace and point guard Deron Williams were both injured in Friday night's 99-79 victory over the Phoenix Suns, and their status for Sunday night's game against the Indiana Pacers is unknown.

Wallace left Friday night's game after suffering bruised ribs midway through the first quarter. X-rays were negative.

Williams suffered a right thigh contusion early in the third quarter. He went to the locker room briefly before returning later in the third and finishing the game.

"Gerald they took home, and Deron's got about 50 feet of wrap and ice all over him," interim coach P.J. Carlesimo said. "We're hurting right now. This is one of those we'll re-assess."

Added Williams: "We'll see what it feels like when I wake up tomorrow. But hopefully I can go. I'm just going to get a lot of treatment on it tomorrow and hopefully I'm ready."

With 6:09 left in the first, Wallace attempted to convert a dunk in transition, but was fouled hard by Suns small forward P.J. Tucker. Wallace landed hard on his right side, and stayed on the floor for a couple minutes in obvious pain.

Eventually, he was helped to his feet before heading to the locker room along with trainer Tim Walsh for further evaluation. NBA rules prohibited Wallace from returning to the game because Tyshawn Taylor attempted the ensuing free throws. Wallace was scoreless in five minutes.

Williams was injured when he collided with Suns point guard Goran Dragic on a drive to the basket with 10:56 left in the third. He limped back to the bench but remained in the game for a brief stretch before being taken out at the 5:26 mark.

Williams headed to the locker room with 4:06 remaining in the quarter with an ice pack on his right leg, then came back out and re-entered the game at the 1:59 mark of the third.

"Doctors believed that was a good thing (that Williams went back in) because when he first went out Timmy (Walsh) said, 'That's it, he's done,'" Carlesimo said. "But then he rode the bike, and it's one of those things where if you sit there and you have one of those, the knot feels like it's getting bigger and bigger, which is probably what it's doing right now."

Williams finished with 15 points (12 in the first half), six assists and three rebounds in 35 minutes.

The Nets were already without reserves Kris Humphries (sore hamstring), Mirza Teletovic (illness) and Jerry Stackhouse (sore hamstring).

Shooting guard Joe Johnson was a game-time decision due to illness, but battled through it to notch a game-high 19 points in 35 minutes.

"I was gonna play regardless," Johnson said.

The 31-year-old veteran couldn't sleep on Thursday night. Johnson said he was congested and barely could breathe, so he called Walsh at 5 or 6 a.m. ET. The team put him on medication, and he rested all day before arriving at the arena for the game.