NEW YORK -- Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins will attempt another comeback, eager to continue his playing career despite sustaining a season-ending knee injury for the second straight year.
Jenkins announced on his Facebook page Thursday night that he's planning to play in 2011, and he confirmed that in an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com, saying, "Yes, it's true. I'll see you in the locker room shortly."
The New York Times first reported Jenkins' decision on its website.
The 10-year-veteran appeared poised for a bounce-back season, but he blew out the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee (same as last season) on the sixth play of the 2010 season. He was caught in a pileup on a tackle of fullback Le'Ron McClain during the Jets 10-9 to the Baltimore Ravens. He also tore the ACL in his right knee in 2005 while with Carolina.
He underwent surgery last week and faces several long months of rehab -- again.
Jenkins told the newspaper his knee, repaired by using the patella tendon, had less damage than expected and feels stronger now than it did at the same point following the last injury.
"I'm in uncharted waters," Jenkins told the Times. "But I'm at the point where I don't care what anybody thinks."
It remains to be seen if he will be back with the Jets. Jenkins is due to make close to $5 million next year, a prohibitive amount for a nose tackle who will have missed 25 of his previous 32 games. There's always the chance he could restructure his contract. If not, he will attempt a comeback elsewhere.
Jenkins says he will wear knee braces in the future, doesn't care who disagrees with his decision and is "crazy enough to pull it off."
Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini and the Associated Press was used in this report.