QB won't practice till Thursday

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, who sustained a concussion in the third quarter of the Packers' 14-7 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday, is OK but will be held out of practice until Thursday.

Packers coach Mike Sherman said Monday that he most likely would hold Favre out of Wednesday's practice. Favre was checked out by doctors, who said they felt confident the quarterback was OK, Sherman said. Results of a concussion test Monday have not come back.

The Packers (1-3) host Tennessee next Monday night. Favre has started 212 straight games, counting playoffs, an NFL record for quarterbacks.

Favre was hurt when Giants defensive lineman William Joseph knocked him to the ground. Favre, whose head bounced off the grass, sat out two plays
before returning to throw a 28-yard touchdown pass to Javon Walker on fourth-and-5. After celebrating the touchdown with Walker, Favre was summoned to the sideline, where medical personnel said he displayed signs of a concussion.

Sherman acknowledged he shouldn't have sent Favre back into the game.

"Well, he was standing there on the sideline. I said, 'Are you
OK?' He said yes. So, I put him back in," Sherman said. "He threw
the touchdown pass and then the doctors told me after that they
didn't want him back in the ballgame.

"The doctors hadn't necessarily cleared him, so I was in error
in putting him back in there."

Favre's TD, however, extended his streak to 29 consecutive games
with at least one scoring pass, third-longest in NFL history behind
Dan Marino's 30 and Johnny Unitas' 47.

The last time Favre was held out of the end zone was Oct. 20,
2002, when Washington linebacker LaVar Arrington knocked him from
the game with a sprained knee.

That also was the last time Favre missed a significant portion
of a game. He missed the final series last week at Indianapolis
after getting kicked in his left hamstring, leaving him with a
softball-sized bruise.

Favre finished 12-of-18 for 110 yards. Backup Doug Pederson was
just 7-of-17 for 86 yards. He hurt his side on a hit near the
sideline but stayed in for all but the final play of the game, when
third-stringer Craig Nall completed a 24-yard pass down the middle
of the field that didn't allow the Packers to spike the ball for a
shot at the end zone.

Favre didn't speak to reporters afterward, and Pederson wouldn't
talk about his injury as he left the locker room to get treatment.