<
>

Mary Kom returns to action after one-year break

PUNIT PARANJPE/AFP/Getty Images

Five-time world champion M C Mary Kom will return to the ring in an invitational tournament to be held in Mongolia next month after being out of action for more than a year.

Mary Kom, an Olympic bronze-medallist, will compete in the 51kg category at the tournament scheduled from June 20 to 26.

"I have returned to 48kg but in this tournament I will fight in the 51kg category because I need some practice after year a away from competition. However, I will be preparing myself in the 48kg category for the Asian Championships in November," Mary Kom told PTI.

Mary decided to return to light flyweight (48kg) last year after the Commonwealth Games organisers decided to introduce the category in the 2018 Gold Coast edition.

Mary's last world title - in the 2010 Barbados edition - had come in the 48kg category, while her four previous titles had been achieved in pinweight (46kg) category.

She had jumped to flyweight (51kg) after it was included in the 2012 Olympic Games. She won the bronze medal in the Games. She also claimed a gold in the 2014 Asian Games where women's boxing made its debut.

"I have been training hard for the last six months and I decided to trial for this tournament because I wanted to test myself. Since 48kg was not a part of the schedule in Mongolia, I decided to compete in 51kg," she said.

"But it is 48kg which will be my focus once I am back from Mongolia," she added.

Mary Kom has not competed since last year's World Championships, where she lost in the second round and missed qualification for the Rio Olympics.

Priyanka Chaudhary (60kg) and Kalawanti (75kg) are the other members of the three-strong women's team.