After 24 hours of soul-searching and a conversation with general manager Jerry Reese, seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan has decided to end his holdout and report to the New York Giants.
Strahan had been training in Los Angeles for weeks but had not decided whether to continue his career with the Giants until late Friday afternoon.
"He's coming back because he wants to keep playing," his agent, Tony Agnone, told the New York Daily News.
Strahan missed 36 days of training camp at a fine of $14,288 a day. To allow for his return, the Giants and Strahan reached a settlement in which the total fine was reduced from $514,368, but the amount he owed was still considered substantial.
Early in the week, it appeared retirement was more of an option, and Strahan had hoped to make a decision by Monday. Reese described the talks with Strahan as "constructive and positive."
During his holdout, Strahan had met with ownership and talked to teammates and friends. He has one week to prepare for the regular season opener Sept. 9 at Dallas.
Speaking to reporters at camp on Friday, Giants coach Tom Coughlin maintained the approach that Strahan was not going to play.
"I have to, I have to," Coughlin said. "That's been the way, not by choice, by necessity. Again, we'll work with the guys that are here."
Strahan is scheduled to make $4 million this season. His 132½ sacks are tops among active players. He set an NFL single-season record with 22½ sacks in 2001.
Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.