Killings leaves on stretcher with neck injury after headfirst hit

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans defensive tackle Cedric Killings
left the field on a stretcher and was taken to a hospital on Sunday
after a headfirst collision with Indianapolis receiver Roy Hall.

Texans spokesman Tony Wyllie said Killings would likely stay overnight at Houston's Methodist Hospital for further testing, but that he's moving his arms and legs.

Hall described the play.

"It was a normal special teams play, and I'm sure glad he's OK. I heard he was doing a lot better moving his arms and everything. It's one of those things that you hope nothing like that ever happens when you're designated to that job. It did this time, and luckily I just came out with a small shoulder injury."

Asked what if felt like, Hall said, "A crash, like a car crash. People describe big hits like a car crash."

The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Killings, playing special teams, hit
Hall on a block as Jerome Mathis was returning a kickoff in the
second quarter. The Texans said Killings suffered a neck injury,
but had feeling in his extremities.

"It's a scary part of football," said Houston coach Gary
Kubiak. "Cedric is a great kid and we're just going to cross our
fingers and say some prayers and hope everything is going to be all

Hall and Killings went down together and Hall walked slowly off
the field with trainers helping him. Colts coach Tony Dungy said
Hall suffered a shoulder injury.

Killings lay motionless as trainers attended to him and a
stretcher was wheeled onto the field. Kubiak watched medical
personnel strap Killings to the stretcher as players from both
sides waited intently.

Kubiak said Killings has a deep cut under his right eye. He was
moving his arms and legs and speaking as he was being treated on
the field, Kubiak said.

"Initially, he made a couple of comments that he couldn't feel
down low," Kubiak said. "As he laid there and talked to us, he
did move everything. He talked to me. His teammates called out to
him from a distance and they don't know it, but he was respondent
to them."

The 30-year-old Killings was cut by the Texans on Sept. 1, then
re-signed on Sept. 14 to add depth to the defensive line when
Travis Johnson injured his ankle.

"We all come out on this field and our intentions are to walk
off the field at the end of the game," said Houston cornerback
Dunta Robinson. "For him to be carried out on a stretcher, it was
a scary situation."

In the season opener, the Buffalo Bills lost tight end Kevin Everett to a life-threatening spinal cord injury. Everett, however,
is making a strong recovery and doctors expect he'll be able to
walk again.

"You pray for these guys to recover," said Colts quarterback
Peyton Manning. "You don't wish that on anybody."

Early in the second quarter Sunday, Houston running back Ahman Green left the game with a left knee sprain.

Green, Houston's leading rusher, caught a short pass and was
tackled after a 9-yard gain by Colts safety Bob Sanders. Green
hopped up, but limped off the field as trainers attended to him on
the sideline.

Green hobbled to a training table behind the bench as Kris Brown
kicked a 33-yard field goal to put the Texans up 10-7.

On Wednesday, the Texans said Green was limited at practice with
a knee injury.

Samkon Gado replaced Green on the Texans' next offensive series.
Green sat on the bench with ice wrapped around his left knee.

Houston rookie Jacoby Jones left in the third quarter after
separating his left shoulder on a 74-yard punt return.

Jones is the Texans' leading kick returner and started for the
first time on Sunday in place of Andre Johnson, who injured his
left knee last week.

Late in the third quarter, Jones took a punt from Hunter Smith,
weaved to midfield and sprinted down the sideline before Smith
pushed him out of bounds. Jones got up holding his left shoulder
and limped to the bench.

Trainers attended to Jones on the sideline before he went to the
locker room for X-rays. Jones said after the game he was having an
MRI exam on Monday.

Texans center Steve McKinney left with a sprained knee in the
fourth quarter and was walking on crutches after the game.

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.