Hargrove gets $300 fine, community service for guilty plea

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills defensive end
Anthony Hargrove pleaded guilty Monday to disorderly conduct, drawing a
$300 fine and 200 hours of community service for an altercation
with police outside a Rochester nightclub in August.

Hargrove, 24, was charged with resisting arrest, criminal
mischief and harassment after police said he broke an officer's
eyeglasses during an early morning encounter on Aug. 5 while the
Bills were in town for preseason training camp.

His brother Terrence, 25, also pleaded guilty to one count of
disorderly conduct and was ordered to serve 200 hours of community
service. The brothers offered to work with the Boys & Girls Club of
Rochester, including setting up a football camp like one they run
in Port Charlotte, Fla.

"It's another thing I can finally get to put behind me,"
Hargrove said outside court. "I really now get the focus on
football. ... The city of Rochester, I'm asking them for
forgiveness for what happened early in August and hopefully now we
can start some positive things."

Hargrove saw his first action of the season in last week's loss
to Dallas after being suspended for four games for violating the
NFL's substance abuse policy. The Bills considered releasing him,
but kept him after reserve defensive end Ryan Denney broke his left
foot in a preseason loss to Atlanta.

Hargrove could face further punishment from the NFL. A
spokesman, Corry Rush, said Monday the case "will be reviewed
under the league's personal conduct policy."

Hargrove said he hasn't spoken to the officer he clashed with
but offered an apology to him and the entire police force. He
declined to discuss in detail what happened.

"There's a few discrepancies here and there but I really don't
want to get [into] stories here," he said. "It's over, the
matter's been dealt with."

According to witness statements, police were breaking up a large
crowd when Hargrove drove an SUV the wrong way on a one-way street.
When police appeared, Terrence Hargrove began quarreling with an
officer, which is when a person matching Anthony Hargrove's
description joined in, a witness said.

The officer whose glasses were broken said Anthony Hargrove
resisted arrest "by swinging his arms at officers, kicking his
feet at officers, and refusing to place his hands behind his back
for handcuffing."

Hargrove is entering his second season with Buffalo after the Bills acquired
him in a trade with St. Louis in October. He appeared in 10 games
with Buffalo last season. A restricted free agent this offseason,
he was re-signed by the Bills to a one-year, $850,000 contract.