Burress held out of starting lineup for missing treatment session

The 2008 season continues to be a trying one for Plaxico Burress.

The New York Giants receiver, already fined $117,000 by the team earlier this month and $45,000 in additional fines from the NFL for his actions during and after the Giants' victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Week 7, was held out of the starting lineup against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday for missing treatments for a neck injury.

"I practiced on Friday and I felt fine and got treatment Friday at the stadium," Burress said. "After I practiced, I thought I was in the clear. I felt good, but I guess I was supposed to come up here and get treatment."

Backup receiver Domenik Hixon started in his place.

The Giants reportedly considered suspending Burress for missing a treatment session Saturday morning.

"I'm disappointed in that," Coughlin said of Burress missing treatment. "You've got to be a member of the team. You've got to follow the regulations and rules of the team."

Burress finished the game with three catches for 15 yards.

In a text message to ESPN's Rachel Nichols, Burress said he did not know how long he would be on the bench, but he did enter the game in the second quarter.

Burress' latest fines from the NFL included $20,000 for verbally abusing an official during the Giants' game against the 49ers, another $20,000 for "inappropriate" comments about officiating after the game and $5,000 for throwing a football into the stands.

Burress was fined and suspended earlier this month by the Giants for missing a Monday team meeting and being unreachable by phone. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who appealed the initial suspension to the players association, has said Burress was dealing with important family matters.

Burress spent five seasons in Pittsburgh after being the Steelers' first-round pick in 2000.

"I got to see some of the guys that I haven't seen in a while," he said. "I got to go out with some of those guys yesterday and sit down and talk to them and go out to eat. We were catching up on old times."

Steelers running back Willie Parker was deactivated for a fourth consecutive game because of an ongoing knee problem. Parker, a Pro Bowl running back, practiced Wednesday and Thursday before the problem flared up, causing him to sit out Friday's workout.

Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith was active for the game despite missing all practices last week for what the team said were personal reasons.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.