CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Brett Favre's doctor indicated Wednesday that Favre's recent ankle surgery went well and that the quarterback has a few more weeks of rehabilitation before he'll decide whether he'll return for a 20th NFL season.
Orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews said there were no problems with last month's arthroscopic procedure, which removed scar tissue and bone spurs from Favre's left ankle.
"It went fine," Andrews said after speaking at the Charlotte Touchdown Club luncheon. "He's rehabbing and trying to decide what he's going to do. I talked to him yesterday."
Favre will turn 41 in October. He has a contract with Minnesota that will pay him $13 million if he plays in the 2010 season. He has given few hints in the offseason, other than the surgery, which has led many in the Vikings organization to predict that he'll be back.
"We've got a few more weeks of rehabbing," Andrews said. "I think he hasn't decided yet what he wants to do."
Favre is coming off one of the best seasons of his celebrated career. He threw 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions in guiding the Vikings to a 12-4 record and NFC North title.
The season ended on a sour note, however, when Favre threw a forced interception in the fourth quarter of Minnesota's loss to New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game.
The Vikings have said they will give Favre all the time he needs to make a decision about whether to return for another run at the Super Bowl.
On the final day of minicamp Sunday, Minnesota coach Brad Childress reiterated that he would be fine with Favre skipping training camp in Mankato, Minn., as he did last season.
Andrews, who has operated on numerous sports stars ranging from Jack Nicklaus to Roger Clemens to Drew Brees, said it was the third time he operated on Favre. It included last year's shoulder surgery and a procedure on his elbow when Favre was in college at Southern Mississippi.
"The elbow was," Andrews said, pausing briefly to make sure he had the math right, "20 years ago."