GULFPORT, Miss. -- Brett Favre says he can still play at a "high level" if he returns to the Vikings for a 20th NFL season.
Favre has not yet said if he plans to play, but he's not sounding like a retired quarterback. Favre told the Sun Herald on Thursday on the Mississippi newspaper's website he would "love to go beat the Saints" in the season opener Sept. 9. New Orleans beat Minnesota in the NFC championship game in January.
"If my body was a wreck, the decision would be made," Favre told the newspaper. "But that is not the case. I know [the Vikings] want to know.
"Hell, I want to know. But I am not going to press it. If I do not play, it does not cost the Vikings a dime. They keep the $13 million. I know they have confidence in the players they have. They had a chance to draft [Notre Dame QB Jimmy] Clausen in the first round, but they didn't want one."
Favre said his healing on schedule from surgery on his left ankle, and cycling is part of his rehab.
Agent Bus Cook was asked by The Associated Press if the 40-year-old Favre has made a decision on playing. His reply? "Nope." The Vikings declined comment.
Favre enjoyed one of the best seasons of his brilliant career last year when he led the Vikings to the NFC championship game, where they lost in overtime to the Saints.
"I know I can still play at a high level," Favre said. "Last year was a great year, but it could have been better. When [Vikings coach Brad] Childress came to my home a few weeks ago, he told me to take my time."