The NFL is wrapping up the Brett Favre inquiry regarding allegations that he sent inappropriate messages and photos to a former Jets employee and could come up with a ruling within a week, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.
Last week, former Jets game emcee
Jenn Sterger and her attorney provided the final visual evidence, giving the league enough information to make a decision.
The expectation is Favre will be re-interviewed to see how his story matches the evidence.
Deadspin has said it paid a third party for the materials it posted in a video on Oct. 7, which prompted a league investigation that's been going on since soon after. The piece includes text messages and voice mails allegedly left by the then-Jets quarterback for Sterger, including one in which he invites her to his hotel. The video ends with several lewd photos -- said to be of Favre -- which were allegedly sent to Sterger.
A former model who also appeared on the Versus television network, Sterger refused to speak on the record to the website. She talked to league investigators on Nov. 11 and cooperated fully, according to Sterger's manager Phil Reese.
Reese said the reason it took so long for Sterger to meet with the NFL was logistical, lining up witnesses to corroborate her story and waiting for forensics specialists he normally works with to analyze data.
The NFL's investigation is trying to determine whether the Minnesota quarterback's denial is valid or whether more questions and issues need to be raised.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday he had nothing to report on the investigation.
Favre has consistently refused to answer reporters' questions about the allegations since the Deadspin report was posted.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.