Seahawks' Derrick Coleman reinstated after team views police interviews

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Monday that the team will lift Derrick Coleman's suspension and the fullback will return to the team.

Coleman was arrested last week on charges of vehicular assault and hit-and-run. The Seahawks initially suspended him indefinitely.

Carroll was asked if he had spoken to Coleman and received an explanation of what happened.

"Yes. We did see him," Carroll said. "We've also seen the videotapes of his meetings with the police, and so we feel like we are doing the right thing right now, obviously."

Carroll said he's unsure when Coleman will officially be added to the 53-man roster, but there's a chance he could play Thursday against the San Francisco 49ers.

"He has to clear the doctors reports and all that stuff," Carroll said. "We don't know. We don't know that yet. He has not been able to see our doctors because he's been on suspension. He's seen other doctors."

Coleman has played 20.2 percent of the team's offensive snaps and has had a role on special teams.

Coleman's lawyer has said he was "in shock" and didn't flee or go far from the scene. Coleman's agents said in a statement that "it seems Derrick may have fallen asleep while driving home from a Seahawks facility."

Witnesses said Coleman's truck was speeding through a 35 mph zone when it rear-ended a Honda Civic, Bellevue Police Chief Steve Mylett said. After Coleman was helped from his vehicle, witnesses said, he left.

Officers found Coleman two blocks from the crash within 10 minutes, based on the descriptions from witnesses. Coleman reported no injuries, while the driver of the other vehicle was taken to a hospital with serious, non-life-threatening injuries.

Coleman is legally deaf, and his football success has made him an inspirational figure. He has been featured in TV commercials and has written a book released this year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.