Kyle Shanahan fined $25K

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for his actions at the end of the team's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Shanahan was whistled for unsportsmanlike conduct for berating officials in the final seconds of the Redskins' 38-31 loss Sunday. He also confronted an official in a stadium tunnel after the game.

The son of head coach Mike Shanahan issued a written statement Monday vowing that such an incident "will never happen again." Kyle Shanahan did not apologize in the statement, and the Redskins for the second straight day declined requests that he speak to reporters.

"Any time you do what he did you're going to get fined, and that's the nature of the game," Mike Shanahan said Wednesday. "If you don't abide by the rules, you're going to pay a penalty and usually after a guy pays 25 grand, they usually learn very quickly."

Shanahan was whistled for berating an official as the Redskins were attempting to drive for a tying touchdown in Sunday's 38-31 defeat. Robert Griffin III spiked the ball with seven seconds remaining at Cincinnati's 34-yard line, and tight end Fred Davis was called for a false start as the offense lined up for the next play.

At least one official apparently indicated -- erroneously -- that there would be a 10-second runoff because of the false start penalty, which would run out the clock. Cincinnati's coaches and players along the sideline then walked onto the field, thinking the game was over.

That's when the Redskins' coaching staff -- Kyle Shanahan in particular -- became livid.

"When I overheard the official tell the head coach that the game was over after the false start penalty, I tried to explain that the game was not over," Kyle Shanahan's statement said. "That is what resulted in the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I tried to get an explanation of how I could get that penalty when half of the other team was on the field as well.

"I was frustrated, and in the process of trying to get some answers from the officials, I conducted myself in the wrong way. I ask our players to hold themselves to a high standard and be accountable, and I know that I'm accountable for my actions as well. I know that I need to handle those situations better in the future. My emotions got the best of me, and I know it's my responsibility. This will never happen again."

The replacement officials -- who are handling the games while the regulars are locked out in a labor dispute with the NFL -- mistakenly marked off 20 yards for the penalty instead of the customary 15. There also was the 5-yard penalty for the false start, so the ball ended up at Washington's 41, giving the Redskins a third-and-50, still with seven seconds remaining.

The game ended on the next play, with Griffin heaving an incomplete pass downfield.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.