Klotz released from hospital

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia Flyers minor league enforcer
was discharged from a hospital Saturday, a day after having a
seizure following a bloody fight -- and weeks after the death of an
amateur player who hit his head on the ice while fighting.

Garrett Klotz, a hulking 20-year-old right wing in his first
season with the American Hockey League's Philadelphia Phantoms, was
taken off the ice on a stretcher Friday night in the opening
seconds of a 2-1 victory over Manchester.

Phantoms spokesman Brian Smith said Friday night that Klotz was
alert and responsive on the way to the hospital and watched the
rest of the game on television.

"It was a scary incident," Flyers general manager Paul
Holmgren told Comcast SportsNet. "But we just got word from our
doctor that he's clear. There's no facial fracture. They're
stitching him up. His jaw is fine and there's no tooth fracture or
anything. It's a scary ordeal, but he's going to be fine."

Klotz and Kevin Westgarth -- both 6-foot-5 and Westgarth 12
pounds heavier at 247 -- removed their helmets and squared off
immediately after the opening faceoff, with Klotz possibly
retaliating for Westgarth's Nov. 7 fight with the Phantoms' Jeff

The long fight ended when Westgarth hit Klotz with an uppercut
and two more hard punches, dropping him to the ice -- and possibly
knocking him out. Klotz appeared to land awkwardly on the boards --
but didn't hit his head -- and convulsed for 30 to 40 seconds. He
was on the ice for about 10 minutes before being lifted onto the

Klotz, from Regina, Saskatchewan, has one assist and 54 penalty
minutes in 30 games for the Phantoms this season. After the Flyers
drafted him 66th overall in 2007, he had a goal, three assists and
97 penalty minutes in 52 games last season for Saskatoon in the
junior Western Hockey League. In 150 WHL games in three seasons
with Red Deer and Saskatoon, he had five goals, five assists and
229 penalty minutes.

Westgarth has a goal, four assists and 109 penalty minutes in 38
games this season for Manchester. The former Princeton forward also
played two penalty- and point-free games this season for the Los
Angeles Kings.

The seizure followed the Jan. 2 death of Don Anderson, the
21-year-old Whitby Dunlops defenseman who hit his head on the ice
after his helmet fell while fighting Dec. 12 in an Ontario Hockey
Association game.