Game 7: A look at some great moments

Updated: June 10, 2009, 12:51 PM ET

The Penguins forced a Game 7 against the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup finals. Heading into Friday's showdown, here are some other memorable moments from Game 7s in NHL playoff history.

1950 Stanley Cup finals

Red Wings 4, Rangers 3 (2 OT): The Rangers had won Games 4 and 5 in overtime, the Red Wings won Game 6 with a third-period rally and Game 7 managed to top those games when Detroit's Pete Babando -- one of the few American players at the time -- finally won it in the second overtime. After the game, Ted Lindsay started the "parade of champions" tradition when he picked the Stanley Cup off a table and skated around the ice.

1954 Stanley Cup finals

Red Wings 2, Canadiens 1 (OT): Montreal was on the verge of a dramatic series comeback after winning Games 5 and 6, but Tony Leswick's game-winner in overtime -- actually, Montreal defenseman Doug Henry deflected the puck into his own net -- gave the Wings the title.

1971 Stanley Cup finals

Canadiens 3, Blackhawks 2: Chicago led 2-0 late in the second period -- on home ice at Chicago Stadium -- when Jacques Lemaire, known for his defense, fired off a slap shot from center ice late in the second period that ripped past goalie Tony Esposito (who reportedly had trouble following the puck on long shots). Henri Richard then scored before the period ended and scored again 2:34 into the third period. Rookie goalie Ken Dryden held off Chicago the rest of the way.

1979 Wales Conference finals

Canadiens 5, Bruins 4 (OT): Known as the "too many men on the ice" game, the Bruins took a 4-3 lead with four minutes left in the game on a Rick Middleton goal. But then the Bruins -- in what would be Don Cherry's final game as their coach -- got caught with too many on the ice, and Guy Lafleur's power-play goal tied it up with 74 seconds remaining. Yvon Lambert scored at 9:33 of the extra period, the Canadiens would go on to win their fourth straight Cup and, to this day, Cherry refuses to name the player who wasn't supposed to be on the ice.

1986 Smythe Division finals

Flames 3, Oilers 2: The deciding goal was scored when Oilers defenseman Steve Smith, attempting a cross-ice pass from next to his own net, struck goalie Grant Fuhr in the leg and the puck deflected into his own net. The Flames denied the Oilers a shot at a third straight Cup (they would win in '87 and '88, as well).

1987 Patrick Division semifinals

Islanders 3, Capitals 2 (4 OTs): New York goalie Kelly Hrudey kept the Islanders in the game with a tremendous effort on Washington's home ice and Bryan Trottier tied it with 5:22 left. And then it got interesting. The teams battled until 1:57 a.m. and nearly 69 minutes of overtime play before Pat Lafontaine slipped the winner past Caps goalie Bob Mason.

1993 Patrick Division finals

Islanders 4, Penguins 3 (OT): The Penguins, the two-time defending champs, had captured the Presidents' Trophy with 119 points and were led by Mario Lemieux, who scored a remarkable 160 points in just 60 games. But the Islanders won Game 6, 7-5, and then shocked Pittsburgh on David Volek's OT goal.

1994 Eastern Conference finals

Rangers 2, Devils 1 (2 OTs): The Rangers had won Game 6 in memorable fashion -- when Mark Messier guaranteed victory and then delivered a hat trick -- but still needed one more. They appeared to have a 1-0 win but the Devils tied it up with 7.7 seconds left in regulation. Stephane Matteau then scored the game-winner, his second double-OT goal of the series. The Rangers then ...

1994 Stanley Cup finals

Rangers 3, Canucks 2: ... beat Vancouver in a thrilling Game 7. New York took a 2-0 lead, Vancouver cut it to 2-1, Messier scored but the Canucks cut it again to one goal. But in a tight third period before a screaming mad crowd at Madison Square Garden, the Rangers held on for their first championship since 1940.

2000 Eastern Conference finals

Devils 2, Flyers 1: New Jersey trailed 3-1 when Martin Brodeur took over the series, as the Devils won the final two games by identical 2-1 scores -- including Game 7 in Philly. Eric Lindros, who returned from a concussion to play in Game 6 (after earlier ripping the Flyers' medical staff) was drilled by Scott Stevens in the first period when he crossed the blue line with his head down. The arena was silent. So was the Flyers' offense. Patrik Elias' third-period goal won it and the Devils then beat Dallas in the finals.