Tracking the Hart Candidates
Perry is at the top of our list based on his clutch play and how he accurately reflects the mandate of the Hart Trophy: to recognize the player most valuable to his team. Perry leads the league in goals (47), is third in points (93) and has been the top goal and point producer since the All-Star break. Perry is tied for second in game-winning goals (10) and second among all forwards in average ice time.
Last Game: Sep 28, 2020
Perry has 10 goals and 15 assists in 18 games versus East teams.
Corey Perry is putting the finishing touches on a Hart Trophy season.”-- 2tootoo2
It seems a bit unfair to punish the league's leading point-getter (100) just because he plays on the NHL's best and deepest team. But the bottom line is, Sedin will likely win his first Art Ross Trophy in part because of his incredible supporting cast, one that includes defending Hart Trophy winner and brother Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler, who has 37 goals. This is not a slight against Sedin, but the reality of his situation.
Last Game: Sep 4, 2020
Sedin averages 18:59 in ice time vs. East teams, about 30 ticks more than vs. West clubs.
Give Vancouver's Daniel Sedin the Hart Memorial Trophy as NHL MVP. He's the best player on the league's best team. He has 40 goals and a league-best 96 points. He deserves it in Sidney Crosby's absence.”-- m_mckinley
As Steven Stamkos' production has declined in recent weeks, former Hart winner Martin St. Louis has answered the bell for the Bolts. St. Louis has moved into second in the scoring race with a seven-game points streak during which he has collected 10 points. He has delivered the game winner twice over that span, as Tampa appears to have turned a corner after a long stretch of disappointing play earlier this month.
Last Game: Aug 4, 2020
The Lightning averaged 2.85 goals per game against the East and 3.19 goals per game against the West.
i can't stop picturing the shootout, and Martin St. Louis doing his spin move.”-- DCaps82
Nashville is 8-1-1 in its past 10 games and is on the verge of locking up a playoff berth that looked to be a long shot at the start of the season. The main reason: the big Finn between the pipes, who has been dazzling, especially in the second half. Rinne is second in save percentage and tied for second in goals-against average. Only San Jose's Antti Niemi has won more games since the start of 2011 than Rinne.
Last Game: Aug 7, 2020
Rinne has a 2.39 goals-against average against the East and a 2.10 GAA against the West.
Pekka Rinne is MVP in of the league in my opinion. Without Pekka, the Preds do not make the playoffs.”-- DavidMSr.
Ovechkin leads the league with 11 game-winning goals and has points in 13 of 15 games. Oh yeah, the Caps were also in first place in the Eastern Conference as of Wednesday morning.
Last Game: Aug 20, 2020
Ovi has nine goals and 10 assists in 18 games versus West teams.
Ovechkin is the dark horse without a doubt though, because a strong finish by him could put the Caps at 1 in the East and a likely contender for Washington to rep the East in the Cup, so don't look past him either.”-- Cizzlen
- • Scott Burnside's honorable mentions for this week:
- Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh Penguins: You might have heard, but Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin (among others) have been absent from the Pens' lineup for weeks. So how is it that they are within shouting distance of the top seed in the conference? Oh, the goaltender.
- Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers: He leads the league with 11 shutouts. He holds the fort or the Rangers can forget the playoffs.
- Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks: Marleau has 19 points in 10 games for the surging Sharks. He is fifth in the league with 37 goals.
- Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames: He is single-handedly keeping the Flames' playoff hopes alive. He has 39 goals (fourth in the league).
- Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins: The veteran netminder has set the standard for the rest of the league's goaltenders from Day 1 this season. He leads the league in goals-against average and save percentage and is second in shutouts.