|Did you pay attention this year?|
By Jim Caple
Page 2 columnist
How closely did you pay attention to sports in 2003? Take our annual year-in-review sports quiz and find out if you paid way, way too much attention
1. After an eight-month search, who did coalition forces find cowering in an eight-foot by 30-inch by 30-inch spider hole, living on nothing but Mars bars and 7-Up?
A) Grady Little
2. What amazing feat did Lance Armstrong perform this summer?
A) He won the Tour de France for the fifth time
3. What did LeBron James wear that got him in such hot water?
A) Wes Unseld and Gale Sayers throwback jerseys
4. Who did Mia Hamm marry?
A) The Bachelor
5. What was Mike Price's record at Alabama?
6. What was hidden in Sammy Sosa's bat?
7. What was Arnold Schwarzenegger elected as this fall?
A) Governor of California
8. What did Kansas coach Roy Williams tell a CBS reporter who asked if he was going to North Carolina right after he lost the NCAA championship?
A) "No, I'm going to Disneyland!"
9. Who did Pirates first baseman Randall Simon hit with a baseball bat during the sausage race in Milwaukee?
A) The Polish Sausage
10. Which distinguished writer had a book on the bestseller list this March?
A) Maya Angelou
11. What was the major reason Grady Little was fired as the Boston Red Sox manager?
A) Partying with co-eds at Iowa
12. Coach Jon Gruden of the Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers is said to bear an uncomfortable resemblance to what hideous character?
A) Martha Stewart
13. What was Portland Trail Blazers player Damon Stoudamire caught trying to sneak past airport security?
A) A handgun
14. What act of kindness did Portland Trail Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks perform last spring?
A) He helped a 13-year-old girl sing the national anthem
15. What determined home-field advantage in the World Series for the first time this year?
A) Best winning percentage
16. What has been the top-rated program this year?
A) Super Bowl XXXVII
17. On the following list, who is the youngest?
A) Jack McKeon
18. What amazing driving feat did Michael Schumacher accomplish?
A) He won the Indy 500 for the fourth time
19. What was NOT one of the U.S. team's notable achievements at the world gymnastics championships?
A) The U.S. women won the gold in the team competition
20. Which had the shorter running time?
A) "Love, Actually"
21. Keira Goerl pitched all 47 innings of the NCAA softball tournament, including a no-hitter in the championship game. Who did she pitch for?
22. Dave Bliss was fired as Baylor basketball coach after doing what?
A) Drinking with Larry Eustachy
23. What did the St. Bonaventure's basketball team vote to do?
A) Decline an NIT invitation
24. Why did former Mets assistant Bill Singer say he made racist remarks to Dodgers assistant general manager Kim Ng?
A) He was drunk
25. How old is Freddy Adu, the soccer phenom recently signed to an estimated $500,000 MLS contract?
26. Why was the Nov. 22 game between the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadiens historic?
A) It was played outdoors in 2-degree temperature
27. What injury knocked Jacksonville Jaguars punter Chris Hanson out for the season?
A) Torn ACL on a late hit
28. What extraordinary feat of stamina did the older cousin of actor Ralph Fiennes accomplish?
A) He bicycled from Normandy to Beijing
29. How long has Joe Paterno been the head coach at Penn State?
A) 33 years
30. What did Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban say would be good publicity for the NBA?
A) LeBron James
31. What high school did LeBron James graduate from?
A) St. Vincent-St. Mary High
32. Who is the president of Augusta National who defended the club's no women membership rule?
A) Hootie Johnson
33. Who won the Nathan's hot dog eating contest by eating 44 1/2 hot dogs in 12 minutes?
A) William Perry
34. Who moved up a weight class to win the WBA heavyweight championship then lost weight to win the light heavyweight belt again?
A) Roy Jones
35. What is NOT in the Oregon Ducks new $3.2 million football locker room?
A) 60-inch plasma TVs with DVD and Xbox
36. What long-awaited event finally took place this year, fulfilling the dreams of fans everywhere?
A) The Cubs played the Red Sox in the World Series
37. What did Philadelphia do to mark the end at Veterans Stadium?
A) Let Tug McGraw throw the ceremonial final pitch
38. What mascot did the University of Mississippi drop?
A) Colonel Reb
39. After a nearly two-year legal fight over ownership of Barry Bonds' 73rd home-run ball, what became of the baseball?
A) The two guys gave it to Barry
40. Why did the NFL fine Joe Horn $30,000?
A) He made a cell phone call in the end zone after scoring a touchdown
Jim Caple is a senior writer for ESPN.com