LAS VEGAS -- Mark Martin is expected to drive a part-time 2012 Sprint Cup schedule for Michael Waltrip Racing in the No. 00 Toyota currently driven by David Reutimann, multiple sources close to the situation confirmed Tuesday.
Sources said team owner Michael Waltrip, a two-time Daytona 500 winner, likely will drive all or a portion of the four restrictor-plate races at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway.
Reutimann will not be back with the team next season, MWR announced Thursday. In 168 Sprint Cup Series starts, Reutimann has two wins, 25 top-10s and four poles. He is 28th in points heading into Sunday's race at Texas.
Sources said an announcement could come Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, where MWR has a news conference scheduled.
Martin is in the last year of his contract driving the No. 5 at Hendrick Motorsports. He will be replaced there next year by Kasey Kahne, who will move from the No. 4 at Red Bull Racing.
The 52-year-old Martin repeatedly has said the past few months that he plans to drive a part-time schedule in 2012, saying recently the prospects for that were looking better.
He initially was considered the front-runner to share a Cup ride with Danica Patrick at Stewart-Haas Racing next year, but those plans had been contingent on having a sponsor.
The No. 00 at MWR has a primary sponsor for next year in Aarons.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.