CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Elliott Sadler will not drive five Sprint Cup races in the No. 55 at Michael Waltrip Racing as the organization announced last week.
Sadler said on Monday he met with Nationwide Series owner Richard Childress and other Richard Childress Racing executives after Saturday's win at Phoenix and decided it was "in our best interest for me to focus on Nationwide."
Sadler said nothing in the meeting was discussed about RCR being a Chevrolet team and MWR being a Toyota team.
"It was more about focus on what we are doing (in Nationwide)," said Sadler, who has a 10-point lead in the series after two races.
It was announced last weekend that Sadler would drive both Cup races at Bristol and Martinsville, as well as the July New Hampshire race, for veteran Mark Martin in the No. 55.
Martin is driving only 24 points races and the All-Star race this season as he cuts back his schedule. Team owner Michael Waltrip is scheduled to drive in three restrictor plate events -- two at Talladega and one at Daytona in July.
Martin, sixth in the Cup standings, said he currently has no plan to drive the 55 in the upcoming March 18 Bristol race.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.