CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne was released from the Mayo Clinic Thursday after being treated for what doctors are calling an inflammatory condition.
Roush Fenway Racing said Bayne is expected to return to racing this season, although the team has not established a definite time frame. He will not run Friday night's Nationwide Series event at Darlington Raceway.
Bayne was admitted last week for nausea, fatigue and double vision.
"Since his admission, the nausea and fatigue have abated, and the vision impairment continues to be treated with medication, and is showing significant improvement," Mayo Clinic neurologist Brian Crum said in a statement from the team.
The 20-year-old Bayne, who became the youngest-ever Daytona 500 winner in February's season opener, was treated after the April 9 race at Texas after experiencing numbness in his arm while driving. The condition originally was thought to be related to an insect bite.
"I know I'm right where God wants me to be!" Bayne posted on his Twitter account Thursday morning. "Finally going back to [North Carolina] today! Waiting patiently to get better! Thanks everyone!"
Chris Buescher, who drove the No. 16 Nationwide entry last week at Richmond, again will fill in for Bayne at Darlington. Roush Fenway officials are unsure of Bayne's status for next week's Nationwide race at Dover but are hopeful.
"Further assessments will be made over the next couple of weeks," Crum said. "His condition is not life-threatening or career-ending. We expect he will continue to improve, though the time frame for his return to racing is unknown at this point. He will continue to be followed closely by his Mayo Clinic team."