MADRID -- Nelson Piquet Jr. is getting back on the track for the first time since his involvement in the Formula One crash scandal, test driving for NASCAR's truck series next week.
The Brazilian driver, who was cleared of any wrongdoing in a Renault plot that saw the Brazilian crash his car to help teammate Fernando Alonso win a race last year, will take part in the one-day test for Red Horse Racing at Rockingham Speedway in North Carolina on Monday.
Piquet will test with IndyCar Series driver Vitor Meira.
"We look forward to helping Vitor Meira and Nelson Piquet make the transition into NASCAR," team owner Tom DeLoach said.
Piquet said in Tuesday's announcement on his Web page that he plans to use the test "to evaluate a future career among the NASCAR ranks."
Piquet, who was fired by Renault in August, was hopeful of returning to F1 despite his involvement in the scandal at last year's Singapore GP. Renault team principal Flavio Briatore was indefinitely banned from F1 for his involvement in one of the sport's biggest scandals.