Benik Afobe's brace paces Wolves as Fulham held to late draw vs. QPR

Benik Afobe scored twice as Wolverhampton Wanderers extended their lead at the top of the Championship to six points with a 3-1 win against Burton Albion.

With second-placed Cardiff City not in action until Sunday, Wolves took full advantage, opening the scoring on the quarter hour when Helder Costa chested down Conor Coady's ball over the top and fired past the goalkeeper.

Afobe added a second for the home side on 41 minutes, latching on to a through ball from Ruben Neves and finding the top corner.

Burton were back in it before the break when Lloyd Dyer slammed the ball home via a deflection, but Afobe's coolly-taken second sealed the points for Wolves.

Fulham missed the chance to at least temporarily close the gap on Cardiff as they squandered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage.

Tom Cairney and Lucas Piazon had put Slavisa Jokanovic's side in control, but Massimo Luongo pulled one back for the visitors in first-half added time before Pawel Wszolek completed the comeback in the 81st minute.

Aston Villa, meanwhile, slumped to a 1-0 defeat at struggling Bolton Wanderers in the late game, with Adam Le Fondre scoring the only goal in the 19th minute.

Middlesbrough remained in the play-off places following a 1-1 draw at Brentford.

Adama Traore's second goal in as many games -- a low driven shot from the edge of the area -- put the visitors in front after 21 minutes.

But Brentford were back on level terms when Lewis Macleod fired home his first goal for the club at the second attempt.

Substitute Romaine Sawyers was sent off late on for Brentford for two bookings but Dean Smith's side held on for a point.

Milan Djuric's diving header was enough for Bristol City to claim a 1-0 win against Ipswich Town. The victory moved them a point behind Boro, while Preston North End maintained their push for a top-six spot with a 2-0 win at Sunderland, who sit five points adrift of the safety zone.

After a goalless first half, Sean Maguire opened the scoring with a diving header and after Jake Clarke-Salter was sent off for a second booking, Callum Robinson nodded in a second to seal the points for the Lilywhites.

Elsewhere at the bottom, Birmingham City drew level on points with fourth-bottom Barnsley following a 3-0 win against Hull City.

Birmingham took a 12th-minute lead when Che Adams pulled the ball back for Jota to slot home and doubled their advantage early in the second half through Adams' attempted cross, which caught out goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Jota's second of the afternoon in the 69th minute sealed victory for Garry Monk's side.

Barnsley made it 11 home games without a win as Lee Gregory's first-half strike and a stunning effort from Ben Marshall stretched Millwall's unbeaten run to 12 matches with a 2-0 victory.

Atdhe Nuhiu bagged a brace, including a late winner as Sheffield Wednesday claimed a 2-1 win at Leeds United, who had equalised through Jay-Roy Grot.

Norwich City held on for a 3-2 win against Reading, with Mario Vrancic and Grant Hanley putting them firmly in control after 30 minutes.

Liam Kelly pulled one right back for Reading after 32 minutes, only for James Maddison to restore Norwich's two-goal cushion from the penalty spot.

Sam Smith's first league goal made it 3-2 but Norwich held on.

Sheffield United drew 0-0 with Nottingham Forest.