The Mexican Football Federation (FMF) refused to announce Juan Carlos Osorio's departure as El Tri's head coach on Wednesday.
Osorio's departure from Mexico had been expected to be announced as new federation president Yon de Luisa took his first questions since starting in the role. Sources have told ESPN Deportes the coach has decided not to continue with Mexico.
But De Luisa avoided the question of the coach's status, and sporting director Guillermo Cantu said no decision has been made despite Osorio's contract having expired after the World Cup.
"On finishing the World Cup the contract [with Osorio] ended and each side hasn't yet decided which path to take," Cantu said in a news conference at the FMF headquarters in Toluca. "When we have more information we'll let you know.
"It's a central topic in the federation and we deserve time to make the best decision in the case of Osorio and if he continues."
Mexico's next matches are friendlies against Uruguay in Houston on Sept. 7 and the United States in Nashville four days later.
Osorio was offered a contract extension ahead of the World Cup, but rejected it, arguing that he didn't want the FMF to have to commit to four more years if Mexico didn't have a good World Cup.
He has been linked to taking over his native Colombia, should their manager Jose Pekerman leave. The 56-year-old also confirmed last year an interest in the vacant United States job, and suggested before the World Cup that European clubs had contacted him.
Osorio has won 33 matches, lost 10 and settled for nine draws while in a tumultuous spell in charge, with many in the country criticizing his rotation of players and attempts to mold them into different positions.
There were calls for Osorio to step down after the 7-0 loss to Chile in the 2016 Copa America Centenario, and again when a second-string side crashed out at the semifinal stage of the 2017 Gold Cup to Jamaica.
However, the players appeared to support Osorio throughout his tenure and backed him when high-profile former players like Hugo Sanchez -- and public opinion -- turned against him.
Osorio then led Mexico to arguably its greatest World Cup result, defeating Germany 1-0 in El Tri's group-stage opener, but a 3-0 loss to Sweden in the final group match meant Mexico faced a strong Brazil side in the round of 16, where they were eliminated following a 2-0 loss.
A shake-up of the FMF was also announced on Wednesday, with De Luisa taking his first press conference in charge as the new president.
De Luisa confirmed Cantu as the sporting general director, moving over from his previous role as general secretary. That position will be taken by lawyer Guillermo Hernandez. Dennis te Kloese will remain as director of national teams, while former Mexico midfielder Gerardo Torrado is still the sporting director.
De Luisa stressed that the work on forming as strong a national team as possible for Mexico's home World Cup in 2026 starts now, but that Qatar 2022 is the main priority.
"The objective is to have the best World Cup possible in four years in Qatar," said De Luisa. "But today begins the responsibility of having the best possible national team for the 2026 World Cup, which will be played in our country."
De Luisa also defended his past at media company Televisa, indicating he was voted into his position unanimously by Liga MX club owners.
"All the decisions go through that [Liga MX owners'] assembly and the position I have today was through an election via the owners' assembly," stressed De Luisa. "The voting was 16 in favor and zero against. This wasn't an imposition by an owner or group of clubs in any way."