2014/15 English League Championship, 2014/2015 English League Championship
  • Daryl Murphy (9')
  • Jonathan Douglas (25')

Ipswich Town 1-1 Brentford

Promotion hopefuls Ipswich and Brentford shared the points in a 1-1 Sky Bet Championship draw at Portman Road.
Top scorer Daryl Murphy gave the hosts a ninth-minute lead but Jonathan Douglas levelled 16 minutes later and that was where the scoring ended.
The result means the teams remain in the places they occupied before the match, with Brentford sixth - one point and one place better off than Mick McCarthy's men.
Both sides made a bright start and it lit up even more for the home side when they took the lead in the ninth minute when Murphy got his 22nd of the season after nine minutes.
Richard Chaplow's deep corner was nodded towards goal by Christophe Berra and the league's leading marksman was on hand to cleverly poke the ball home off the inside of the post.
Murphy almost grabbed his second when he took advantage of dithering from Liam Moore and David Button to take the ball away from the Brentford goalkeeper - but he could only find the side-netting from a near-impossible angle.
The home side were on top with Jonathan Parr narrowly missing the far post with a fierce cross-cum-shot while, at the other end, Ipswich keeper Dean Gerken did well to hold Alex Pritchard's curling effort from the edge of the area.
However, Brentford were level when Gerken did brilliantly to parry Stuart Dallas' volley but Douglas was on hand to head home the rebound.
An even final 20 minutes of the first half saw the visitors shade the chances, Alan Judge heading over from 10 yards and then Andre Gray's snapshot whistling past the post.
Ipswich almost grabbed the lead just before the interval when a great breakaway saw Chaplow's shot well saved by Button, before Judge made a brave sliding block to deny Parr the rebound.
The home side should have been ahead less than a minute after the restart when Parr broke into the box and perfectly crossed for Murphy who somehow slid the ball over the bar - and the gaping empty net - from five yards out.
In a chance reminiscent of Parr's in the first half, Berra could only push a good chance wide of the far post on 54 minutes.
Button remained the busier of the two keepers and he had to be alert to dive across his goal to save from Tyrone Mings.
Back came Brentford with Pritchard's free-kick well held by Gerken before Murphy missed another gilt-edged chance on 65 minutes when the striker raced clear but was denied by a brilliant save from the onrushing Button.
Ipswich continued to create the better chances as the second half progressed, with Murphy's shot at Button lacking power and then sub Chris Wood heading wide under pressure.
Eight minutes before the end, Teddy Bishop tricked his way through the defence but his low left foot shot was brilliantly saved by man of the match Button.