2016/17 English FA Cup, Round 1
  • Rhys Healey (68')
  • Jordan Green (97')
  • Josh Sheehan (110')
  • Jazzi Barnum-Bobb (117')
  • Adam Priestley (74')

Fleetwood score three times in extra time to see off Southport in FA Cup

Fleetwood scored three goals in eight minutes in extra-time to claim a 4-1 victory over Southport and end the non-league side's hopes of causing an FA Cup upset.
Substitutes Cian Bolger and Ashley Hunter and Amari'i Bell all netted in the first half of extra time as Fleetwood booked their place in the second round on boss Uwe Rosler's 48th birthday.
The result was harsh on the visitors who started well although Fleetwood looked content to grind down the opposition and their patience was rewarded before the break.
Devante Cole skipped past Ryan Higgins, cutting in from the right and delivering a ball to the back post where Aaron Amadi-Holloway was lurking, the striker not making clean contact but his deflected finish was enough to hand the League One side the lead.
The second half was all Southport and former Fleetwood forward Jamie Allen should have levelled when a defensive mistake left him unmarked five yards out, with goalkeeper Alex Cairns springing to the rescue for under-fire Fleetwood.
With four minutes remaining the visitors were rewarded for their pressure, as substitute Ashley Grimes barged through a crowded box and smashed Southport level from close range.
Taken to extra-time Fleetwood hit back, Hunter nearly firing the hosts back into the lead, Norman tipping his curling effort over the angle.
It was a brief reprieve for Steve Burr's men, Hunter drilling the resulting corner into the path of makeshift striker Bolger, the header powered home from the centre of the box in the 94th minute.
Hunter then sealed Fleetwood's progress two minutes later, racing clear on a slick breakaway and smashing low under Norman.
Hunter was instrumental as Rosler's League One side further skewed the scoreline, stealing in from the left to tee up Bell for a deflected fourth.