2017/18 Australian A-League, 2017 Australian A-League
  • Diego Castro (7' PEN, 40')
  • Andy Keogh (42')
  • Oriol Riera (17' PEN)
  • Keanu Baccus (6')

Diego Castro double helps Perth Glory beat Western Sydney Wanderers

Perth Glory players celebrate Diego Castro's goal vs Western Sydney Wanderers Getty

Perth Glory are back in A-League finals contention after beating a 10-man Western Sydney Wanderers 3-1 at nib Stadium.

The game could hardly have started in more dramatic fashion on Sunday night, with the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) awarding a penalty to Perth in the seventh minute and a red card to Western Sydney's Keanu Baccus.

Diego Castro scored for Perth before the VAR denied Joel Chianese a second minutes later. The Wanderers drew level with a penalty of their own, won by and converted by Oriol Riera in the 17th minute.

But Perth's dominance was rewarded with goals to Castro and Andy Keogh just before half-time. It ends Glory's five-match slide and takes them to eighth position, just goal difference from the top six.

They looked significantly better with the inclusions of Dino Djulbic to the defence and Neil Kilkenny in the midfield.

Wanderers stay seventh, missing the chance to jump to fifth.

It was a stunning opening starting when Castro set up Chianese for a good run towards goal. Referee Jonathan Barreiro waved the penalty appeals off but shortly after the VAR intervened.

Not only was the penalty awarded but Baccus received a red card after being ruled to have brought down Chianese by the arm when he had a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Castro converted from the spot and then, in the 10th minute, the VAR denied Glory a second goal. Chianese had scored but replays showed he was offside.

Then in the 17th minute, the Wanderers drew level when Riera was brought down by a charging Glory 'keeper Liam Reddy.

Based on the red card Baccus received, there was a good case for Reddy to get the same.

Perth avoided that, though, despite Riera scoring at the spot.

Any hope of Western Sydney staying in touch was blown away in the space of three minutes before half-time.

A dazzling Castro free kick sailed over the wall and into the left corner. He then set up Keogh to deliver another tremendous strike that bounced off the top bar to go in.

It was 3-1 at the half and remained that way following an uneventful second half.

Betting Odds
Presented By

New Customers Only
Up to £100 in Bet Credits

Australian A-League Standings


A-League News