2017/18 Australian A-League, 2017 Australian A-League
  • George Blackwood (69')
  • Fahid Ben Khalfallah (33')
  • Massimo Maccarone (45')
  • Matt McKay (45'+5')

Ten-man Brisbane Roar hold on to win at Adelaide United

Brisbane Roar lost their skipper Matt McKay to a red card but still recorded a dramatic 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium on Saturday.

The visitors were leading 2-0 heading into the break before McKay was given his marching orders in first-half injury time.

He was making his 250th appearance for Roar before falling foul of the referee for kicking out against Nikola Mileusnic after a tackle brought both men to ground.

Brisbane were forced to set up camp in their defence for the second with the Reds only able to pull one goal back despite the extra man advantage.

After dominating most of the first half the Reds fell behind after a rare mistake from captain Isaias on 33 minutes.

The Spanish midfielder's poor first touch from a Jodran Elsey pass allowed Fahid Ben Khalfallah to steal possession and round Izzo and slot the ball into an empty net.

Roar doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time after Khalfallah again stole possession, this time robbing Nathan Konstandopoulos, before supplying Massimo Maccarone with the perfect through ball.

The Italian striker showed his class with a sublime chip over the onrushing Izzo.

With the visitors seemingly in control, McKay was sent off in first half injury time after the skipper's altercation with Mileusnic.

The Reds winger had brought down McKay, who then lashed out while the pair was on the ground.

After consulting his assistant, referee Adam Fielding issued the Roar midfielder with a yellow card before the VAR appeared to overturn the decision and deem the offence worthy of a straight red.

United took a while to click and make the most of their extra man advantage the restart but they eventually started to boss the contest.

Substitute Michael Marrone was lively and minutes after his introduction hit the bar with a powerful left-footed effort from the edge of the area.

On 69 minutes the home side did pull one back courtesy of a very fortunate ricochet in the middle of the park.

The blocked clearance split the Roar defence and put Mileusnic through on goal.

The winger rounded the keeper but his shot bounced back off the upright and fell perfectly for George Blackwood, who tapped into an empty net.

Johan Absalonsen, in his first game since the FFA Cup semi-final, had a couple of chances in the closing stages but put one wide and headed over the bar with the other.

Roar defended well, and deep, and looked for Maccarone on the counter as they survived the Reds onslaught to hold on for the much-needed maximum three points.