2017/18 English Carabao Cup, Carabao Cup - Second Round
  • Philip Billing (52' PEN)
  • Joe Lolley (54')
  • Semi Ajayi (1')

Huddersfield Town 2-1 Rotherham United

Two goals in as many second-half minutes saw Huddersfield come from behind to beat Rotherham 2-1 in the Carabao Cup.
A much-changed Terriers team fell behind to a Millers side searching for the first away win in 28 games when Semi Ajayi headed in the opener inside a minute.
But a 52nd-minute penalty from half-time substitute Philip Billing was quickly followed by Joe Lolley's winner as the Premier League outfit made it three victories from three this term.
Having become just the third promoted side to have won back-to-back Premier League games at the weekend, Terriers boss David Wagner made 10 changes, retaining just Christopher Schindler from the side that defeated Newcastle.
The Millers kept just three of their XI from the weekend and it was one of those, Ajayi, who opened the scoring after 56 seconds.
Goalkeeper Joel Coleman unwisely came to reach an Anthony Forde cross and was left stranded as Ajayi headed beyond him into the net for just his second Millers goal, the other having also come against this opponent.
The hosts responded well to going behind and Kasey Palmer curled narrowly over while Schindler's header from a Lolley corner went just past a post.
Wagner replaced Schindler with Billing at half-time as Dean Whitehead reverted to centre-back, and Huddersfield turned the game on its head inside nine minutes.
They were awarded a 52nd-minute penalty when referee Peter Bankes spotted Will Vaulks pulling Laurent Depoitre's shirt in the box, allowing Billing to step up and squeeze his spot-kick just past Richard O'Donnell's dive.
And moments later the Terriers went ahead when a move down the left saw Palmer square for Lolley to fire past an unconvincing O'Donnell.
Rotherham should have been back on level terms shortly afterwards, though, as a combination of Kieffer Moore's poor finish and Coleman's brilliant save stopped it becoming 2-2.
The Millers broke on a two-on-two counter and Jon Taylor's cross from the left was perfectly delivered to Moore at the back post, with the Ipswich loanee having done the hard part to reach the ball before sliding an attempt back into the diving Coleman's arms from close range.
Rotherham huffed and puffed in an attempt to force extra-time and had the ball in the net in the final five minutes when Forde's free-kick was nodded in by a sliding Vaulks, only for the whistle to blow for a foul on Michael Hefele.
They still should have forced an additional period after that when Coleman pushed Moore's shot out into Jonson Clarke-Harris' path, yet he tried to chip the rebound home and got it all wrong as the ball went harmlessly wide.

English Carabao Cup News