2017/18 English FA Cup, Round 1
  • Lee Bennett (41')
  • Krystian Pearce (34')
  • Danny Rose (73', 78')

Danny Rose double ends Shaw Lane's FA Cup run

Local boy Danny Rose ended Shaw Lane's improbable FA Cup run with a brace of late goals to sink the ambitious Evo-Stik Premier Division outfit on their main draw debut at a packed Sheerien Park.
The Barnsley-born 23-year-old got the League Two Stags out of a sticky situation with a powerful 73rd-minute header followed by a superb scissor kick which sealed his side's 3-1 win and progress into round two.
Until Rose's intervention it seemed fate was lining up to add another extraordinary chapter to the Shaw Lane story, which has seen five promotions since they left the bowels of the Barnsley Sunday League just six years ago.
Lee Bennett, a full-time labourer from nearby Grimethorpe, had cancelled out Krystian Pearce's opener towards the end of a tumultuous first half, then goalkeeper Jon Stewart pulled off a magnificent penalty save to deny Mansfield striker Jacob Mellis.
The excitement was palpable at a club whose rise has come with a tragic sense of perspective after the death of defender Daniel Wilkinson during a game against Brighouse Town just over a year ago.
The hosts bore the name of Wilkinson's foundation on the front of their shirts for the occasion, and much of the pre-match build-up had revolved around the desire to put on a competitive performance in memory of their former player.
In front of a crowd swelled almost tenfold from their usual league gates of less than 200, the hosts fought back well from a torrid early period in which Stewart had saved well to stop an early effort from Kane Hemmings.
Growing to the task, Shaw Lane missed the chance to go ahead after 25 minutes when full-back Ryan Serrant cut in from the left but shot tamely at Mansfield keeper Conrad Logan, and nine minutes later the visitors went ahead.
Joel Byrom's well-worked free-kick found Alex MacDonald on the right and his cross was met by Pearce who slid his low shot past Stewart.
But Shaw Lane responded superbly and after Nicky Walker had a good effort blocked in the box, they grabbed their equaliser three minutes from the break when Bennett prodded home a cross by Alex Byrne at the second attempt.
Bennett later hit a post, and Mansfield boss Steve Evans must have been fearing the worst when Mellis was denied from the spot shortly after the hour-mark, Stewart saving with a full-stretch dive to his right.
But just when it seemed the momentum may be shifting in the other direction, Rose took control, regaining his side's lead after 73 minutes when he met a cross from Mal Benning with a fine header.
Five minutes later Rose's acrobatics on the end of a cross from MacDonald settled the tie and left the hosts to reflect on a battling performance, and a day which would have made their former player Wilkinson proud.

English FA Cup News