2017/18 English FA Cup, Round 3
  • Ruben Vinagre (40', 40')
  • Leroy Fer (67', 67')

Swansea survive ill-tempered match against Wolves to earn FA Cup replay

Wolves were unable to claim another Premier League scalp in the FA Cup as their third round tie against Swansea at Molineux finished goalless and 10 aside.

Wanderers have an impressive record against top-flight opposition in the past 12 months, having won at Stoke and Liverpool in the FA Cup last season. Nuno Espirito Santo's runaway Championship leaders have also beaten Southampton this campaign in the Carabao Cup and took Manchester City all the way to penalties in the same competition.

Hopes were high in the Black Country that they could add Swansea to that list of victims and Wolves did have the better chances to score, until their momentum was interrupted by Ruben Vinagre's red card five minutes before half time.

Swansea came into the game a bit more thereafter but they were also reduced in number after 67 minutes when Leroy Fer was sent off.

Neither team could make a breakthrough and they will replay at the Liberty Stadium later this month.

Both managers made six changes but Wolves settled quickest and Bright Enobakhare had the ball in the net early on, only to be denied as referee Anthony Taylor had already blown for a foul.

Enobakhare was involved again after seven minutes, forcing Kristoffer Nordfeldt into a parrying save with a shot from just inside the penalty area. The Swansea goalkeeper was busy again shortly afterwards, getting down low to repel an effort from Morgan Gibbs-White.

Swansea eventually settled but never threatened the Wolves goal, with the hosts still enjoying the majority of the possession. A 40-yard strike from Renato Sanches, although on target, drew cheers of derision from the home supporters.

Nordfeldt continued to impress and produced his best save so far after 25 minutes to tip Helder Costa's 20-yard strike round the post. He then palmed out a header from Alfred N'Diaye on the half-hour mark and Enobakhare should have really put Wolves ahead from the loose ball but he dragged his shot wide.

Despite Wolves' dominance it was Swansea who came closest to scoring during the first half when Martin Olsson crashed a free-kick against the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area.

The dynamic of the tie changed five minutes before half-time when Ruben Vinagre was shown a straight red card for a tackle on Nathan Dyer. A man down, Wolves were no longer as fluent or the attacking threat they were while it allowed the visitors to be more adventurous.

However, Swansea still struggled to create chances. Wilfried Bony could not get a header on target early in the second half and it was not until the hour mark that Will Norris was forced to make a save, diving to his left to push away a fiercely-struck shot by Bony.

Swansea's numerical advantage would not last much longer as in the 67th minute referee Taylor made it 10 against 10 by sending off Leroy Fer. A straight red card was a severe punishment to say the least for a trip on Costa on the halfway line.

Wolves had their first opportunity of the second half at its midway point when Kortney Hause sent a header narrowly over the crossbar from Barry Douglas' free-kick.

Substitute Rafa Mir, on his Wolves debut, had a late chance but saw his goalbound effort blocked.