American defender Tim Ream has completed his move to Fulham, signing a four-year deal, the London club announced on Thursday.
Ream moves from Bolton Wanderers after Fulham hijacked his transfer to Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers, sources said.
Ream held talks with QPR officials after they agreed a £1.4 million ($2.19m) fee with Bolton last week, but Fulham moved quickly to match QPR's offer as they battled for the centre-back's signature.
The 27-year-old said he was impressed enough by Fulham during talks over the weekend to move to Craven Cottage ahead of Loftus Road.
His contract will tie him to the club until at least 2019, with a club option for one additional year.
- Fulham Football Club (@FulhamFC) August 20, 2015
"I'm more than pleased to be here," Ream told Fulham's website. "It's been a long time coming now, over the past week and a half it's gone back and forth so I'm glad its finally sorted."
The former New York Red Bulls player has made 15 appearances for the United States. He started two games at left-back for the U.S. in this summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup.
He will join U.S. under-20 captain Emerson Hyndman and under-17 midfielder Luca de la Torre at Fulham as the latest in a long line of Yanks to play for the London club, following in the footsteps of such players as Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra.
"The biggest thing was the history, walking into the training ground and feeling the vibe around the club and the success that previous American players have had here," Ream said.
Bolton boss Neil Lennon was reluctant to lose Ream with the defender establishing himself as a key man, having won the Player of the Season award for the last two years.
However, because of their financial constraints Bolton have been forced to cash in on Ream to enable them to raise funds to strengthen the squad elsewhere.
Ream's move was finalised after his visa was approved. His arrival will come as a major boost to Kit Symons after Fulham lost their past two league games to Brighton and Hull City.