Graham Arnold has shut down a report he's been offered the Socceroos job and reiterated he's heard nothing from Football Federation Australia.
Based on an anonymous source, Fox Sports claimed on Wednesday night the contracted Sydney FC coach has been told the job is his if he wants it on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.
That's despite FFA's expert panel having only just started defining the job criteria for Ange Postecoglou's successor, a process it says does not involve talking to candidates until early January.
Amid a flurry of big foreign names Arnold is the standout local frontrunner.
But while the 54-year-old is "flattered," he said there was nothing to talk about.
"There's nothing been offered, so I don't even think about that," Arnold said on Thursday.
"Nothing has changed for me from last week, everything is exactly the same.
"It's obviously flattering to be considered for the national team as a proud Australian.
"But I have a contract with Sydney FC, I believe we're doing well but we need to do greater than we are at the moment.
"As I said last week to the players, everyone around the world is watching what they and the staff do.
"I've had other interest outside Australia, and for me the most important thing is my next decision and making it for my family and my beautiful wife, as I'm getting older myself."