Sebastian Giovinco believes Toronto FC's unwillingness to enter into new contract talks is a "a little bit" of a problem, the Italian star told the Toronto Sun.
Giovinco, 31, is the highest-paid player in Major League Soccer on a deal that paid him over $7 million last season but expires after next year.
And the playmaker said that, while he is happy in Toronto, he is starting to become concerned that the MLS champions have declined to open negotiations.
"I already talk, but they said it's not the moment [for contract talks]," Giovinco told the Sun. "For them, that's not a problem, for me it is a little bit.
"I want to know my future. I have family. I'm 31 years old. For what I do for the city, I think I deserve it, no?
"For them it's not a problem, for me it's starting to be a problem ... I already said I want to stay here forever ... If not, I have to think about other options."
Giovinco has been one of the most productive players in MLS in his four years in the league, scoring 60 goals and being named MVP in 2015.
He led Toronto to the MLS Cup title and Canadian Championship last year and will take the pitch in Guadalajara on Wednesday night for a chance to win the CONCACAF Champions League against Chivas.